Last updated September 3rd, 2018 at 09:22 pm
An Online News Platform ensures that the readers get latest and updated news from the region and from all around the world. It would be safe to say that after social media websites, news portals receive the highest number of visitors every day.
Such platforms have specific hosting requirements which need to be addressed to ensure that a seamless experience is offered to the site visitors. Running an online news platform is a task laden with loads of responsibilities. Right from sourcing news from all around the world to increasing the reader base to keep up with the social media handles, it’s a tough task, to say the least. A good web hosting package can put at least the technical aspects to rest. Choosing a good hosting is essential for the success and growth of any online news site.
Hosting needs of Online News Platforms
- By the virtue of being a news platform, your website needs to be updated many times in a day – in many cases every hour!
- Also, a news platform cannot afford to have downtimes as a visitor wanting to read news might find another option if your site is down – Simple.
- The hosting service should allow for optimization of resources during traffic spikes.
- Upgrading hosting resources such as CPU, RAM and Storage Space should be easy and quick.
- Page load speed should be fast.
- Round the clock and efficient support team.
Of the various types of hosting services available like Shared Web Hosting, Reseller Web Hosting, Cloud-based Web Hosting, Virtual Private Server (VPS), Dedicated Web Server, Managed WordPress Hosting, etc. In this article, we will compare VPS and Cloud hosting for your online news platform.
VPS vs. Cloud Hosting
In VPS Hosting, you share the server with other users but have independent resources allotted to you. You can customize and configure your partition the way you want.
In Cloud Hosting, the resources needed for the website are divided across multiple servers which work together like a single and powerful server. Each of these ‘virtual servers’ is programmable and offers a high degree of responsiveness to the site’s needs.
- Performance: In VPS, since resources are not shared, you get maximum performance out of the available resources. On the other hand, in Cloud Hosting, resources are shared. Hence, VPS can offer better performance. Certain Cloud Hosting providers also integrate Varnish Caching which has the potential to increase the speed of the site by 1000%.
- Customizability: VPS Hosting offers better customization possibilities as compared to Cloud Hosting since the partition is isolated. Moreover, VPS Hosting provides full root access which provides complete flexibility to install and setup software that you need and even configure firewall etc. In Cloud Hosting, you have lesser control over the hosting parameters.
- Scalability: Cloud Hosting offers almost instant scalability. In VPS, you need to request additional resources before you can scale up.
- Cost: In VPS Hosting, since you are paying for exclusive resources, the price is comparatively higher as compared to Cloud hosting. VPS Hosting Plans come in the range of $20 to $80 per month. On the other hand, since resources are distributed and shared in Cloud hosting, the prices are relatively lower. Also, most cloud providers offer a pay-as-you-use option keeping you in total control of the costs. Cloud Hosting Plans cost in the range of $10 to $20 per month.
In a nutshell, Cloud Hosting makes sense for websites with unpredictable traffic and resource requirement, like an online news portal. It is also important to note that these benefits can be maximized by choosing a good Cloud Hosting Provider. Look for the following basic features in a Cloud Hosting Plan:
See Also :
Fully managed hosting | Easy upgrades to the CPU/RAM | Caching proxy servers | Free data migration | 24×7 support | Resource monitoring panel | Ceph storage architecture.