Last updated September 20th, 2013 at 05:58 pm
Google+ Hangouts is a tool that, teachers can uses to conduct more virtual classes at a greater number of places. From this universities and colleges teachers may teach more students with
fewer teachers. The main advantage is that the Google Hangouts to teach ten classrooms at a time. Classes and students are fully interactive and students can ask the questions through FM mikes, the speaker image will always be enlarged so that there is no confusion as to who is speaking. Here are some suggestions for using Google+ Hangouts to improve your teaching capabilities and experience.
1. Before getting started, ensure that:
- You have latest computers with specification.
- You must have a high speed internet connection.
- You may have an alternate source of power like inverters to ensure continuous transmission.
2. Creating Google+ transmission and reception levels.
These are the places where teacher is teaching (transmission) and where the students are
located (reception). First prerequisite for Google+ account is having Gmail account, so log into
Gmail account and you will have an icon “+you” by clicking that icon you can create a Google+ account.
3. Network the Google+ Nodes.
It is necessary to connect the various Google+ nodes with each other by sending and accepting contact requests.
4. Creating Circles.
The reception and transmission nodes should create subject wise circles and include the
relevant reception and relevant transmission nodes in the circle. Just drag and drop the relevant
nodes in the circle. You can create an unlimited number of circles and have a clear classification
for circles and confirm that all the nodes follow the same classification.
5. Integrate YouTube, Vimeo or Picasa accounts Google+ account.
You can transmit videos, Photos and PowerPoint presentations, or any file from your screen by clicking the option “share your screen”.
6. Conduct Dry Runs.
Test the system and the network at each node. View the audio and video quality and clarity.
Make any necessary adjustments if required.
7. Run a Trial Sessions.
Conduct a trial session on different topics of interest to enable the students and teachers to get benefits.
- Transmission node selects the relevant circle before the hangout starts.
- All the nodes should log into their Google+ accounts at least fifteen minutes before the schedule of the virtual class.
- Make ensures that all the reception nodes are logged in before to start teaching.
8. Conducting virtual classrooms with Google+ Hangouts.
Share the success stories with other teachers, to encourage more students to make use of this easy and enjoyable method of information sharing and learning.
When you are finished, say goodbye to everyone and press “Exit’.